Friday, May 27, 2016

Friday Favorites...Going For Green


Happy Friday and Happy Memorial Day weekend to you!

It's time for...



Ever since my recent eye opening experience, I have had a lot on my mind.

I couldn't just learn information like this...



or information like this...


and just continue to live exactly the way I was before. The research is legit, and the 
products that we are allowing into our homes and on to our bodies is something to be
taken seriously. According to this site, cancer diagnosis rates in 1900 were 1 in 8,000
people. In 2013, the rate had risen to 1 in every 3 people. Ya'll. That is a scary statistic.

There is tons and tons of information out there, and I won't go into more detail about it
here, but I do encourage you to do some reading of your own and make the decision that
you feel is best for you and for your family.

I am loving this site, because it allows me to check the safety levels of products that 
I use in my home.



EWG's Skin Deep Cosmetics Database


For today's Friday Favorites, I want to share the safer products that I have transitioned
to using daily. I will also include the EWG safety rating for your convenience in case
you are interested in transitioning to safer products for yourself.

Just FYI... The lower the safety rating, the safer the product is. My goal is to transition
to as many products as possible that rate below a 3.







- one -


I am loving this Tom's deodorant. It has a EWG rating of 1 and smells and works wonderfully.

I have used it daily, both in and out of the gym, and am very happy with it. I will definitely
be buying this deodorant again and again.


- two -

I like this lotion from Burt's Bees. It smells delicious, but it's EWG rating is a 4, so I probably 
will not buy it again. The lotion that I was currently using had a rating of 9, so I figured
I would use this lotion until I can find one with an even better score.



This Burt's Bees lip balm also rates a 4. I like the flavor, but still would prefer 
a product with a slightly lower toxicity score. I wanted to include these two Burt's
Bees products to warn you that packaging and labels can be very deceiving.


I did not check the site before buying these product because the labels claim they
are 100% natural. I have learned that "natural" is a word that is extremely loosely 
regulated, so I will be more cautious with my next purchases.


- three -

This dish-washing liquid also received a score of 4, but the Dawn I was currently using
has a score of 9, so I figured this would be a better alternative until I can find one with
a lower score.


The Honest Company  has dish soap that has a score of 1, so I will most likely 
buy that brand next.



- four -


I have been using this liquid detergent and have been quite happy with the results.
Unfortunately it's score is a 5.  After more research I learned that the Purex Free & Clear
has a rating of 4, so I will purchase it next time, or I may even try making my own liquid
detergent using this DIY recipe.


These are small changes, and I want to soon make many more. Sometimes changes 
are difficult, so I am changing a little bit at a time to try to avoid completely
overwhelming myself.With the use ofa few apps for my phone, the process is 
becoming slightly less confusing and frustrating.



- five -

I am now using these 3 apps to check out products before I buy.


1.  EWG's Healthy Living







2.  EWG's Food Scores




3.  Think Dirty




Now I can simply scan the barcode on the product, or search for it by name, and I
will know immediately if I want to purchase a product.

My motto in this journey to a healthier, less toxic life is this...




Were you aware that there are toxic chemicals in everyday household products?

Are you interested in making changes to protect the health of you and your family?

Do you have any natural, chemical free products to recommend?













2 comments :

  1. I have used Purex for years. Before it was for the price (and I like the scent.) It's good to know that it's rating isn't super high. Now you've got me wanting to check all my makeup, cleansers & lotions. Have you checked the Simple Green products?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly where I am today Tammy! I can not find info on the Simple Green products on any of the apps or websites that I have used thus far. Labeling is so sketchy on some products that it would be best to research the ingredients in the them one by one. I may have to check them out. Knowledge is power and safety!! Have a great weekend!! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...