Wednesday, May 25, 2016

An Eye Opening Experience



Recently my eyes have been opened to a world that I was totally happy ignoring. I had
heard little tidbits here and there, and little warnings, but I suppose I felt like I had
other things to worry about, so I opted for the "ignorance is bliss" state of mind.

Until...

One day I was innocently watching a few YouTube videos in my down time. I clicked on
this one called 15 Awesome Cleaning Hacks and DIY Natural Cleaning Products. Life
hacks / tips seem to be all the rage right now, so I figured a cleaning hacks video certainly 
couldn't hurt. I clicked on the video, and as she was discussing how she cleans, she shared
the many reasons that she uses natural cleaning products, I was suddenly on the edge of
my seat. She had my full attention.

You can click here to watch the video.



When she said that typical household cleaners contain toxic chemicals, I listened a little
closer to learn more. Apparently the toxic chemicals in cleaning products not only effect
the environment, but they can effect the health of our family. These chemicals can effect
our hormones, our moods, our energy levels, and even lead to cancer and other diseases.


After watching her video, I was suddenly a bit concerned about just how many toxic
items I was allowing into my home on a daily basis. 


The next video I watched was this one, called 11 Hidden Causes of Inflammation.

You can view the video here.



Drew Canole is also talking about the dangerous toxic chemicals in normal everyday
items. I could hardly believe what I was hearing. 


And in this video called Beauty Starts on the Inside, Drew talks about 4 ingredients that
we need to absolutely avoid.

He explains that our skin is our largest organ and that what we are putting on our skin
is affecting us way more than I had ever imagined

View video here.



And also the beginning of this video.



Our skin absorbs 60% of what we put on it!

If we put lotions, face creams, etc. on our skin that have toxic chemical ingredients,
that means our skin has to process those nasty chemicals. Drew again cites studies that 
report links of toxic ingredients to headaches, mood swings, hormonal imbalances, and 
some diseases.


I knew if what I was hearing was true that it was time for a change.

I began doing my own research.

According to this site, Europe bans 1,300 harmful chemicals from personal care products 
while the United States on bans 11. As a matter of fact, the U.S. has not passed a major 
federal law to regulate personal care product ingredients since 1938.

One statistic says that 1 out of 2 men, and 1 out of 3 women will be diagnosed
with cancer in their lifetime. 

1 out of 68 children born today, will be diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder.

More than 5 million Americans have Alzheimer's.

I think these statistics warrant a closer look at the use of our typical household
cleaners and personal care items.


While I was researching, I found several natural living blogs written by women
who share my concerns and share what they are doing about it.




The world of natural living is a broad one. It is so much larger than the foods that we eat
and the household cleaners that we use. Stop and think for a moment about all the products
that we use in a day.

This site states that the average person typically uses 168 toxic products during the day.
Think about it...

Soap/body wash, face wash, shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, deodorant, make up,
perfume, toothpaste, mouthwash, hand sanitizer, dish washing liquid, and the list goes
on and on.



Where I am today...

I am making a few small changes every day. This is not something that I can change
and completely remedy overnight, and to try and do so would be unbelievably
overwhelming.



I will share with you in my Friday Favorites post this week some of the products
that I am transitioning to, and a couple of apps for your phone that is making the
process a little easier.

As I learn more, I will share with you on Wednesdays. I will also share
how I am making the change to natural cleaners, and safer beauty products. I
will keep you in the loop on what is working, and what is not working for me

Now that my eyes have been opened to the dangers of the toxic products that
appear in our everyday lives, I just can't turn the other cheek and pretend that
the dangers aren't there.


What are your thoughts?

Did you know there were so many toxic chemicals found in our kitchens
and bathrooms?

Would you consider making changes to live a healthier life?












2 comments :

  1. :D Very informative. I'm going to try sending this link to my phone so I can look it up at home and watch the videos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammy! It's really crazy how oblivious I was just a few weeks ago to this entire subject.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...