Monday, May 23, 2016

A Weekend of Firsts {Weekend Recap}


Oh hello Monday. Back so soon?

Before we get going with a new week, I want to recap our weekend.

Overall, I think it was a good one!


- Friday -


Miss S was home with us for dinner Friday night! Her boyfriend had to work so
she decided to stay in Friday night to finish writing a paper, study for her exams,
and do a little ACT test practice. I can't even remember the last time our 17 year old
spent a Friday night in and with us. Needless to say, Hubby and I were beyond thrilled.

Hubby got to work at the grill and grilled flank steak, and chicken breasts.



While Hubby was grilling, I was inside trying to figure out how to cook quinoa. Definitely a
first for me. It took about 15 minutes to cook, but I found it very hard to flavor. I learned later
that quinoa takes on the flavor of whatever it is cooked with, so cooking it in water, like the
directions on the container said, probably wasn't the best idea.



We ended up adding low-sodium soy sauce to it for flavor, so my healthy side dish kind of
took a slightly less healthy turn. It tasted okay, but I will do more research on cooking it
before I serve it again.



- Saturday -


While Miss S was shopping, hanging out, and then swimming with friends, I decided to do
a little shopping for myself. I have had these shoes on my wish list for a while now...


Miss S has a pair and loves them. She wears them with everything! Hers are so soft and
comfortable that it's almost like wearing house shoes everywhere. I was intrigued, and
wanted a pair for myself.

I called Mountain High Outfitters and they had them in stock and in my size, so I
hopped in the car and was on my way. I came home with Birkenstocks, a new pair of
socks for work, and a new "Life is Good" t-shirt. I was a happy girl!



On my way home, I saw this...


Holy bumper stickers, that's a lot of stickers!


Miss S has heard me talk about wanting cotton to decorate with, so she brought me home
some from her shopping trip. The cotton was wrapped in plastic, and someone immediately
wanted to play on it.


Shelley loves anything that makes a crinkling sound. Paper, plastic, she doesn't care
she just loves walking on it, and laying on it. Funny kitty!




- Sunday -


Sunday was church day. Miss S and I snapped a quick pic after the service.


I want to soak up every moment I have with her because her senior year of high school
is just weeks away.

Sunday afternoon I decided to try making my own cashew butter. I don't like buying
nut butters from the grocery store because of all the added ingredients. I wanted a nut
butter with no salt, no sugar, and no added oils.



Here's how I made it:

1.  I added about 3/4 of a large can of unsalted cashews to my food processor.

2.  I ran the food processor on low for about 4 - 5 minutes, and voila.







In the first minute or so, the cashews look like crumbs in the food processor. After
about three minutes, the cashew butter starts to form a giant ball of nut butter.

Keep grinding...

After 4 - 5 minutes, you have delicious cashew butter with no added ingredients!

It is absolutely delicious! Pretty excited that my 1st attempt turned out so well.
Miss S said she probably prefers it over peanut butter, that's how yummy it is.



Hubby and I wrapped up our Sunday night by catching up with Blindspot episodes
on our DVR, and Miss S went to dinner with her boyfriend to celebrate their 4 month
anniversary. They are just the cutest!


I'm linking up with Katie for another Marvelous Monday link up.




I hope your week is off to a wonderful start!


Thanks for reading today and Happy Monday!










No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...