Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Workout Wednesday...New Moves For A New Year


A New Year calls for new goals, new plans, and sometimes the desire to try a few 
new moves in the gym. Here are three moves that I want to add to my workouts
in the coming weeks.








Setup: Stand with your right foot on a gliding disc, arms in front of you.

Move: Extend your right foot to the rear, lowering into a deep lunge and touching your 
right fingertips to the floor. Return to standing, then extend your foot directly to the side 
as far as you can. Return to standing and then cross your right foot behind you diagonally 
while keeping your hips square, as if doing a curtsy. Return to standing to complete one 
rep. Do all reps on one side before switching.

Boost the Challenge: Vary your speed, doing one set slowly and in control and another 
one powerfully and fast.




Women typically have stronger quads than hamstrings which often contributes to knee 
pain. I know in my own workouts that I typically spend more time and energy on my 
quadriceps. When I read this article, I realized that I need to change the way I train
legs and be sure not to neglect my hamstrings.

This move is one that I have heard of, but have never tried.




Stand tall with your feet hip-width apart while a holding a dumbbell in each hand at your 
side. Step forward with one leg, keeping your front knee bent 20 degrees and your back knee 
straight. As your front foot hits the ground, simultaneously lean forward by hinging at your 
hips. Keep your back straight and allow your rear heel to come off the ground. Reverse the 
motion by stepping backward and returning to a standing position. Repeat on the other leg.




I love finding new exercises that allow me to work two body parts at the same time. 
Why not work your biceps and your abs at the same time with this move?





Setup: Sit in the center of the BOSU and hold a set of weights at your sides, elbows in, 
arms angled outward about 45 degrees. Lift your legs with your knees slightly bent and 
sit up tall with a straight back so you’re in a boat pose, balanced on top of the BOSU.

Move: Hold the boat pose as you curl the weights up and down in a biceps curl. You can 
tap your feet down if needed to help you re-balance.

Make It Easier: Do with your heels lightly touching the floor.

Make It “Harder”: Straighten your legs completely.

Tip: Always keep your spine straight; never round forward or hunch over.



More information about these and other exercises not mentioned here can be found
by clicking here, here, and here.



Have you tried any of these exercises before?

Are you guilty of neglecting your hamstrings when training?


Happy training!










2 comments :

  1. Ok, are you game for these three to be part of our Sat. workouts? All three to begin with or add in and change them up? At least one of these scares me, one excites me and one just looks cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy that I inspired you with new ideas!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...