Thursday, September 24, 2015

Almost Chili Weather


Today I promised to share my favorite chili recipe, but not only is this recipe my
favorite, it has also been a life changing chili recipe. Let me explain.


For years I never particularly liked chili. Typically most people make chili with big
red kidney beans. I really don't care for kidney beans so, therefore, I never was a
big fan of chili.


Chili is almost a winter staple recipe in the south, and for years I never really
understood the obsession.


One day, when Miss S was about five years old, she was playing at a friends house
and was served chili for dinner. She ate three bowls of chili. My tiny little
five year old ate three bowls! Whaaaa?


Well, as any good mom would do, I asked for the recipe. I had to find out what made
this chili so delicious. You know how picky children can be, so when you find
something they actually enjoy eating, you kind of run with it!


Miss S requested chili for dinner the very next week. Gulp, it looked like I
would be making chili for the very first time.

I pulled out my new chili recipe and headed to the store for ingredients.

Later that night, we had chili for dinner and my opinion of chili was finally
changed! 

This wonderful chili recipe does not call for kidney beans and the recipe is so very
simple. It can easily be doubled, or even tripled. It can be made on the stove, or in
a crockpot. It is 100% foolproof, and 100% perfect for me.


Today, I want to share the recipe for the chili that changed my life for the better.

I got the recipe from my friend Melissa, who lives in North Alabama, so
therefore, the chili recipe has been lovingly titled "North Alabama Chili."






1 pound lean ground beef 

1 low-sodium Chili seasoning packet

2 cans of low-sodium pinto beans, drained

1 can low-sodium petite diced tomatoes

1 large can tomato sauce

2% milk shredded cheese for topping




That's it! Short, simple, quick, easy, and delicious. Thank you Melissa! Every 
time I enjoy this chili, I will think of my sweet friend.


I've also made this recipe with ground turkey and with venison, so feel free to 
substitute any meat that you prefer. (If you want to make it vegetarian, why not 
add black beans instead of meat?)


It's good topped with a scoop of sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt,) Fritos, or 
tortilla chips, and of course cheese.


All this talk of chili has got me ready to cook up a big batch! Pretty sure
we'll be having chili this weekend. :)



Is chili a staple in your home during cool weather?


What recipes do you make frequently once the weather turns cooler?











No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...