Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Ups, Downs, and DVD's



I woke up to 65 degree temps this morning! It felt wonderful and almost made me
not quite so miserable to be out of bed. 

A morning person, I am not! Mornings would be a lot less painful if they 
started after 8:00!




I mentioned yesterday that it was Hubby's birthday. Poor guy. Nothing went as
planned for his special day. He had planned to take off work yesterday, quickly
do some much needed work in the yard, and then have the rest of the day to enjoy
his birthday. Well, that plan started falling apart almost immediately.

Three people that work for him called in sick, and three overslept. His phone was
ringing off the hook and his receptionists were freaking out!

Right in the middle of trimming the hedges around our house, he had to stop,
come in and shower, and go to the office. Poor guy! All he said was, "Merry
Birthday to me!" 

After several more ups and downs during his day, he finally made it home
for dinner together with our little family. Miss S had asked to meet a friend
at Starbucks to study, but I quickly shot that idea down. Ugh. Teenagers!

Maybe next year I can convince Hubby to take a mini vacation for his birthday,
and somehow leave his phone at home! 



via

Last week, I borrowed this DVD set from work to watch at home for fresh
ideas and inspiration. I was super excited to give these a try.




It wasn't long before my excitement turned to depression.

These DVD's are intense.


Brook Benton's explanation of the exercises and safety tips that she gives
are excellent and I did get a few new ideas to use in my 50/50 Circuit program
at the gym that will be starting up again in a couple of weeks, but these DVD's 
are no joke. 


- DVD 1 - 

Cardio Kettlebell has lots and lots and lots of squats, wood chops, lunges, 
and KB swings. After about 10 minutes, my previously strained back was
not having any more of that! And due to that previous back injury the KB 
Mountain Climbers were not even attempted. I know that I don't have the 
range of motion for those.


- DVD 2 -

Yoga Burn is a combination of Power Yoga and athletic conditioning.
Again, very good explanation of the moves along with tips for safety, but
my body was not ready for this DVD either. 


- DVD 3 -

Bell Body Sculpt begins with good instruction on kettlebell use. She
used a quote that I really loved. "More time under tension means more
tone in the tush." Apparently that is her reasoning for all the squats!


If you attempt  these DVD's you may be able to breeze through them with
no problem. But if you are like me and find that your body is not there yet, don't
fall into the comparison trap. We are all different. We have different bodies,
different abilities, and different journeys. If you are a beginner or have had an injury,
there is no reason to get down on yourself. It's best to focus on what you can 
currently accomplish and let the rest go.

I would like to use these DVD's as a tool to measure my fitness gains. I may
attempt these DVD's again in 8 - 10 weeks to see how I'm improving. Until then
I will listen to my body and design workouts that are appropriate for me.

The Kettlebody By Brook videos are on Youtube if you would like to try them
out for yourself.


 My workout for the today will be cardio and legs.




I will be doing some squats, but more like 30 of them, not 150 of them!


What are you doing today?

Do you ever find yourself falling into the comparison trap?








4 comments :

  1. I'm with you about mornings! These DVDs look great! I am trying to create a new workout routine so this post is perfect for me! - Seri from www.Serisblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I'm happy you enjoyed this post! Thanks for visiting today. :)

      Delete
  2. Aw! Bless your husbands heart. At least he was able to enjoy dinner with his lovely family. Did he get cake after dinner? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I totally would have been in tears if it was my birthday! Poor guy. He had chocolate cake that was leftover from the weekend, but will be having an official birthday cake this Sunday when we celebrate with all the family!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...